Seilevel
Seilevel Home
Back to Blog Home - Requirements Defined

Monday, October 19, 2009

Live from BAWorld Boston

This week I find myself at Project Summit & BAWorld: Boston for about a day and a half.

This morning I presented our talk, "If you Build It, Will They Use It? Leveraging Business Objectives to Deliver Successful Projects". One thing I like about the BAWorld symposiums is that they make the slides available electronically to everyone, they are reviewed by a committee before you can present them, and they insist that the speakers provide learning objectives so you know what you are getting. So to that point, here are the learning objectives for my discussion:
  • Understand how Business Objectives are vital to businesses
  • Understand how to elicit and write good Business Objectives
  • Understand how to use Business Objectives to assess measurable value of individual features
I had a blast with the audience here - great participation in some of my games (yes, we do them in presentations, not just our training classes!).

If you haven't been to one of these conferences, I recommend it if you are a practitioner doing Business Analysis, Requirements Engineering, or Product Management. Everyone else here is also practicing the "art" of BA and looking for new tips and techniques to take back to their organizations.

Anyway, I attended a few other talks of interest today that I'll blog about shortly!

Labels: , , , , , ,

Requirements Defined Newsletter Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Blogger Ernie said...

Hi Joy, how are Business Objectives and requirements linked in your view? Do requirements potentially 'satisfy' objectives?

Or do I have to go to the conference? :)

10/22/2009 11:14 AM  
Blogger Joy said...

That's absolutely right. I'll have to post snip-its from my slides with pictures to explain this, but for now, business objectives lead you to a product to build and that product has features, which are buckets of requirements. So they trace. You don't have to go to the conference, but I do enjoy it! I'll work on posting more about this with some visual explanation too.

10/22/2009 6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home